Monday 16 October 2023

Phansi Museum visit part 1

On the 11th of October 2023, as fourth-year students, we joined the first-year students for their visit to the Phansi Museum. As a non-Zulu person, I found it fascinating to learn more about Zulu culture, their designs, clothing, and tribal traditions they've developed. It was also a valuable experience with our leader, Nkosi, who taught me many things, allowing me to engage by pronouncing Zulu words and even participating in traditional dances with the wooden structures they use to carry the grass mats for sleeping or resting a body part on. Here are some of the images I found interesting from the visit:
Zulu dolls
I took this picture specifically as it reminded me of the time when I was in primary school, my school project for arts and crafts was to make a Ndebele doll. 

beaded basket  a sculptured handle and cowrie shells

Zulu beaded basket with the triangles forming the design.

beaded basket 


Woven basket made from dried grass





No comments:

Post a Comment