Wednesday 26 July 2023

End of Semester Reflection

For the First Semester, I felt it challenging in the sense of a new year getting to work on concepts we wanted to explore, but this had to go through failures and success processes. I will be honest I was scared and confused as to what to really work forward to getting myself into with the Mendhi pattern concept but once you start designing outcomes using the patterns, it makes you want to design more but it was a matter of how you will make this concept or design to work.  


I went through many experimentation, being etching at first, it was interesting how your design that is either sketched or marked on a metal piece can become interesting with the depth it creates as well as the look of it on metal, it was a long process so I felt it would take a lot of time to get work done on time and did not want to further that. Next was enameling adding powdered colour onto metal which is heated and once cooled-off it gives off beautiful colours to the piece which I really liked, and it was a quick process although you need to be careful with choice of colour and how much enamel powder to add to the metal. Then lastly, I worked with filigree, it was quite intense, but I liked the final outcomes of it.  


So, after the exhibition, I decided to further the concept of making Contemporary Indian Jewellery but with having to work with piercing as I initially said in my interview for my acceptance as well as enameling, filigree and try the bead slumping technique. Designs will be inspired by the Indian cultural patterns and designs used either on fabric, Mendhi, and jewellery pieces. 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment